Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Shock TV

We've all heard a lot recently about all the 'bad' things on television. We've heard politicians expound on how all the nudity on the small screen was 'corrupting' the kids and making it uncomfortable for the entire family to sit together and watch TV. I've never thought about it much until recently. What's the worst that could happen with the kids exposed to all the sex and nudity on TV? More kids wanting to make out? Or younger kids wanting to know exactly what it is all about? So parents will have a tough and embarassing time explaining to the kids. But this also gives them an opportunity to sqeeze in a short lecture on safe and responsible sex, the importance of meaningful realationships etc. Is that so bad?

There is something else on TV that bothers me though. It's quite a popular show called the Guinness Book of World Records. The last episode I saw had a guy piercing the skin of his throat with thick metal wire and towing a car with it. The other 'record' showed a young lady shooting arrows while upside down, at a balloon on a man's head. Am I being paranoid or is this somehing seriously disturbing to other people as well? Think worst case with a kid watching this. I think I can imagine - I have a younger cousin who lost his eye while playing with a bow and arrow while inspired by the legendary 'Ramayan' on television.

I'm thinking the concept of TV is not so brilliant after all...

2 comments:

opiated said...

I dont want to step on toes but...
Heard of Darwin? Yeah, do the evolution, baby. Purge stupid people. Encourage more stupid activities. Viva, shock TV.

cygnus said...

I found your profile while checking members with similar interests to mine. You have good taste in music. I thought what you wrote was interesting. My blog is http://journalofcygnus.blogspot.com/ if you feel like checking it out. My writing is a little depressing compared to yours, but I feel we might think somewhat alike at least about music.